Linkedin was founded in 2002 by Reid Hoffman, Allen Blue, Konstantin Guericke, Eric Ly and Jean-Luc Vaillant.
It was launched in 2003 and in the same year attracted investment from Sequoia Capital.
In 2011 LinkedIn became a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange and in 2016, LinkedIn was acquired by Microsoft for $26.2 billion.
Unlike other social media platforms, LinkedIn has been growing slowly but steadily.
Here are 19 LinkedIn statistics every marketer needs to know for 2019:
- LinkedIn is currently available in 24 languages;
- The company has more than 14,000 full-time employees with offices in more than 30 cities around the world;
- The social network has over 610 million registered members in over 200 countries and territories;
- Professionals are signing up to join LinkedIn at a rate of more than 2 new members per second;
- There are more than 46 million students and recent college graduates on LinkedIn;
- There are more than 30 million companies represented on LinkedIn;
- More than 20 million open jobs are featured on LinkedIn Jobs;
- LinkedIn offers a wide array of products: Sales Navigator, Company Page, Messages, Advertising platform, Jobs platform, Career Advice, Talent Solutions, education by way of Lynda.com, LinkedIn Events, LinkedIn Learning Pro, LinkedIn Advocacy, LinkedIn advertising;
- In 2018, the company acquired Glint, a leader in employee engagement that helps people in organizations do their best work, develop their skills, and improve business results;
- Women make up to 39.1% of the company’s leadership, an increase of 12% in the last two years, according to the LinkedIn 2018 Workforce Diversity Report;
- Company Pages will integrate with Crunchbase and show relevant funding insights and key investor information;
- 40% of monthly active users use LinkedIn daily according to omnicoreagency.com;
- 61 million LinkedIn users are senior level influencers and 40 million are in decision-making positions according to Linkedin.com;
- LinkedIn is the most-used social media platform amongst Fortune 500 companies (source: linkedin.com);
- There are 87 million Millennials on the platform of which 11 million are in decision-making positions (LinkedIn );
- 80% of B2B marketing leads from social media come through LinkedIn;
- 46% of social media traffic to corporate websites comes from LinkedIn;
- 92% of B2B marketers leverage LinkedIn over all other social platforms;
- Results reported by companies advertising on LinkedIn:
- 2x increase in conversion rates,
- 44% reduction in cost per lead,
- 48% open rates of Sponsored InMails,
- 13% increase in web visits,
- 27% increase in pageviews.
Our values have grown to define us. It’s one thing to change the world. It’s another to do it in our own unique way: Members first. Relationships matter. Be open, honest and constructive. Demand excellence. Take intelligent risks. Act like an owner.